I have just found a mould object in my cupboard. What do I do first?
Seek professional advice if investigations reveal that you do indeed
have a disaster
wear a dust mask that is rated for use with Mould, and gloves (nitrate
or latex) when handling mouldy items. Many moulds are allergenic
and produce chemicals that can irate the throat and lungs, or lead
the mould appears to be actively growing attempt to stop its growth
by drying object out. Place the object in a location that has good
airflow, is not humid and has lots of bright light but not in direct
sunlight. Sunlight is very effective at killing mould but unless
done with great care can cause serious damage to the object through
rapid dehydration. Keep an eye on the item to make sure it is not
drying out too quickly because it can cause cracks or other similar
damage. Once it has dried you can try removing the mould with a
soft brush in a well ventilated area using a dust mask. However
mould often causes staining so you may wish to consult a conservator
or relevant heritage professional
use commercial mould remover products as they could damage the object.
a conservator or relevant heritage professional.
Q: How do you stop mould
The best cure is prevention. Environments must have as stable a
temperature and humidity as possible and be monitored regularly
for the continued safety of the item.
mould requires good housekeeping procedures involving the maintenance
of stable temperatures and relative humidity values (below 60% RH)
and a clean, well ventilated environment.
Q Who do I get expert advice from to restore this mouldy
You should contact a conservator for advice and possible repair.
What is the best way to handle mouldy material
Use gloves, a dust mask and there is a risk of inhalation of fungal
spores causing allergic reactions, sensitisation, and, a variety
handling suspect collections, wear a dust mask and wash your hands
after handling them.
vigilant and if a leak or condensation occurs investigate the area
and monitor for up to a month afterwards to ensure that mould has
not started to grow again.
further information you can download and print this helpful PDF.
Note: Acrobat Reader is required to access these files. If you do
not have a copy of Acrobat Reader click on the icon above to download
your free copy: